The feeling of fear is familiar to every person, even to the bravest ones. But, sometimes, people give up their goals because of the fettering fear of defeat. They are afraid to start doing what they want, just because they are afraid of failing at it.
Do not be afraid of failures – they are not dangerous for us. It is important to learn how to overcome the fear of defeat and, in this article, we’ll show you some simple ways to do it.
1. Work on your self-esteem
The fear of failure appears more often inside those who are not self-confident or have low self-esteem. Work on yourself to become more confident in your abilities.
Begin with forgiveness. Grant yourself forgiveness and allow yourself to be who you are. Acceptance frees you from the fear of defeat. If you understand your advantages and disadvantages, it will be easier for you to start working on what you want to change. Every time you do something for self-improvement, you will feel stronger and more confident, which means that fear will cease to be the dominant feeling.
2. Master the knowledge
Knowledge allows you to be as cautious as possible and gives you confidence as well. If you are well acquainted with the business you are about to start and have studied all the pitfalls, fear will not overwhelm you. Knowledge will help you not only to get rid of fear, it will also help you move faster and more efficiently towards your goal.
3. Do not ignore the fear
You can often hear such phrases as “Calm down,” “Do not be afraid” or “Do not think about it.” They are certainly good, but not effective. Do not throw away exciting thoughts and do not ignore the feeling of fear. It is better to listen to what your sense of fear is trying to prevent you from. Extract maximum benefit from this and then act contrary to the reflex of fear.
4. Fight with your fear every day
Make small steps in the fight against fear every day. Try to do what you are afraid of and, gradually, you will sense that the fear is being actually overcome. You can thus not only free yourself from fear, but also raise your self-esteem, because every day of your life will be filled with small victories.
General tips in the fight against fear:
- When you feel fear, do not take any action. Stop everything and think about how justified it is. If there are no compelling and real reasons for fear, release this feeling and calm down.
- Breathe deeply, learn to relax. Fear can result from overexertion.
- Learn to listen to your feelings and try to identify which situations provoke the most fear in you. Try to understand why it’s happening and try to find in your memory the negative experience where it all began. Understanding the roots of the problem will help you overcome fear.
- Develop positive thinking and learn to focus on positive things. When this becomes a habit, fear will rarely arise.
It is impossible to achieve absolute freedom from fear. But, thanks to these tips, you can minimize its negative impact on your life.